concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staying over with Grandpa & Grandma on the farm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Pape family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjolson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Staying over with Grandpa & Grandma on the farm Reply with quote

This is someting that did not happen very often, at the most two or three times, because I really don't think they wanted to mess with having to entertain us little kids. I do remember one time very vividly, I was six or seven, grandma and I went out to the garden, (which was very large and included a large flower garden, she really like her flowers) anyway we picked peas, hulled them for dinner, not one of my favorite things to do, she then made us dinner, by the way if you remember in the summer she did this cooking in the summer kitchen, because it would get too hot to cook in the house, then she would carry everything back to the kitchen to serve. It's no wonder she stayed skinny. For dinner she made a beef or pork roast I don't remember which, potatoes, those peas, homemade bread, butter and jelly. After Grandpa said the blessing he filled his plate by taking off the top half of the roast and the bone, the scene of him eating all that fat and cleaning the marrow from out of the bone I will never forget, oh yes he did also eat some meat. After dinner Grandma and I washed up the dishes, I got to pump the water, do you remember that little pump she had in the kitchen by the sink? I guess she was very lucky to have water in the house, and I think that a little later on she had running water.

Of course after dinner I had to take a nap, probably to give Grandma a break, later in the afternoon I got to help gather the eggs, then wash, weight and candle them before putting the eggs into the case. Now on to watering the horses and cows, remember the big windmill and large concrete watering tank? I was so envious of that windmill because at home I pumped the water for the cows. After milking Grandpa & Grandma brought the milk up to the house where they had the cream separator, she would separate the cream into a can, then put it down in the well to keep cool, this is where they kept their butter, milk, cheese and anything else that needed to stay cool, while Grandpa finished up the other chores.

Onto supper, which was served in that screened in breeze way between the summer kitchen and the house, you know when I think back that was really pretty neat, as for supper I can't say the same, Grandpa proceeded to show me what to do, he took a hunk of day old bread, broke it up into pieces in his bowl, poured sweet clabber milk on top and sprinkled on some sugar and cinnamon, as that clabber milk came cur splat, cur splat out of the pitcher my eyes got bigger and bigger, and then good old Grandma says here let me help you, I have never forgotten that meal, and I don't think I ever will.

There was one other time I stayed with them and the daily routine was just about the same except for dinner, this time she made chicken and rice soup, now remember, Grandma was very frugal, she saved wherever she could, anyway when she put the large bowl of soup on the table, she had removed most of the meat because she would use this tomorrow and serve as fried chicken, but she left the chicken feet in the soup (wow, now that's right up there with the clabber milk).

Now Sunday afternoon visits were great, Mom, Dad and we kids would go about 1:30 and stay till about 4:30 because Dad had to get home to milk the cows. The afternoon consisted of Mom & Dad visiting in the room right off the kitchen, I think it was called the sitting room,(the parlor was on the other side of the house, I don't really remember it ever being used) while us kids would play in that large hall in the center of the house, with Grandma always checking on us to make sure we didn't go up stairs, I don't know what was so special up stairs, I just know it was forbidden territory for us kids. To this day I don't know what was up there? About 3:00 Grandpa would serve some homemade wine which always included us kids getting some, this made us feel like we were grown up, of course it was more water then wine. Then around 3:30 or so Grandma would serve lunch, which was always the same every time we went, homemade bread, butter,jelly, summer sausage and spice cake with half a pecan on each piece, and every now and then she would make lemonade, without ice of course.

One more story, do any of you remember butchering day? this was a big, long day, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma and Mom and whom ever else wanted to help, would start very early butchering, then some of the meats were cured and smoked, others canned, some was made into that good summer sausage and head sausage, and then there was that famous BLOOD sausage, with grandpa mixing it together with his hands in a large kettle clear up to his elbows, don't ask me what all went into it other than blood and flour I have no idea. You see Grandpa always said he used everthing but the pigs squeal, this included using the intestines which were cleaned and washed for using as casing for the sausage, etc. If it was freezing outside Mom and Dad would hang a part beef in our attic where it would stay very cold and freeze, (kind of a early day deep freezer) and we would then have fresh beef for a week or two..

Hope I didn't bore you too much, but it was kind of nice to reminisce a little abut Grandpa and Grandma and the old days.
pdieckhoff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Cousin Myrna Olsen's memories of the visit to Grandpa's Reply with quote

I read again the posting that Myrna wrote about the visits to Grandpa and Grandma's farm and could not help but to send a followup post.
Myrna mentioned the eating of peas. Cousins I believe will remember how Grandpa ate his peas with a knife. I believe because the forks were three pronged he no doubt could get more on a knife. He also always ate the European way by holding the fork in the left hand. Also I can still hear him praying the prayer before meal time with much inflection and a strong AMEN!
Myrna and I talked about this last summer.
Since she talked about the sausage that Grandpa made, both Blut Wurst (Blood Sausage) and Head Cheese (Knap Wurst) I have posted, below in an attachment, Grandpa's recipes for the sausages in case anyone wanted to make it (Ha!) These were in my mothers (Anna's) cook book sent by I believe Aunt Flora or Grandma.
Enjoy, Phil Smile

Blood Sausage recipe.doc
 Description:
Grandpa's recipe

Download
 Filename:  Blood Sausage recipe.doc
 Filesize:  27.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1617 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Pape family All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: