concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concordia Indians Softball Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Concordia Indians Softball Team Reply with quote

How many of you remember the Concordia Indians softball team of the 1940s, coached by Wahoo Boeschen? They played on the old softball field where Bismark St. ended at 11th St. (i.e. where the high school now stands). There were a lot of great games. The fiercest rival was the team from Sweet Springs.

I was having trouble recalling the players. When Wahoo was still player/manager, he played in the infield (possibly 3rd base). Arby Deke pitched. Floyd Schoene at shortstop and Bud Kappelman at 2nd base were a great double play combination. Les Kueck was the power hitter. He played outfield. I'll always remember his classic batting stance. My brother Don caught for a while. Maybe some of you can help me out with some of the other names.

I spent many a night at the ballpark. Larry Becker and I used to sell soda at the Boy Scout stand behind the homeplate bleachers. (Wild cherry was one of the favorites.) The Bodenstabs would bring their white popcorn wagon. "Those were the days, my friend ..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: