concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Circuses in Concordia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Circuses in Concordia Reply with quote

The closing of the Ringling Bros. circus this year is a bit sad. Various circuses brought family entertainment to a great many communities, including Concordia. I can remember at least on circus coming to Concordia when I was a young child. I watched them set up the big tent on the day before the first performance, but can't remember the exact location.

One of the early visits caused quite a stir. The particular circus was Fulford and Co. While I could not find a flyer for this particular show, I did locate an ad shown below in the Lexington Intelligencer about the same time. A few days later the circus came to Concordia and during this stint an accident(?) occurred as reported in the NY Sun newspaper.

Was it really an accident? Why would the proprietor shoot the treasurer/ticket seller? We'll never know.

FulfordCircusAd.jpg
 Description:
Ad for Fulford & Co. Circus in Lexington, MO
 Filesize:  281.67 KB
 Viewed:  11584 Time(s)

FulfordCircusAd.jpg

CircusAccident.jpg
 Description:
Article from The Sun. (New York [N.Y.]) September 19, 1890
 Filesize:  104.69 KB
 Viewed:  11584 Time(s)

CircusAccident.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: