concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Old Cars Reply with quote

(Originally posted January 13, 2009)

Many of you are familiar with my fondness for antique automobiles. To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Model T Ford, I put together a series of anecdotes about my 1921 Ford roadster. Since the article is a bit long, I posted the file on this website. So any of you antique car buffs out there might want to check the link to The 1921 Model T Ford Roadster.

A good video of the Model T production can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4KrIMZpwCY. (Thanks to Orville and LaVerne Cole for the link.)
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Ford and the Auto Air-Conditioner Reply with quote

(Originally posted January 13, 2009)

Speaking of old cars, maybe you haven’t heard the following story.

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner. On July 17, 1946, the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees. The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter.

Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car. They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees inside, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off immediately. The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent.

The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, "The Goldberg Air-Conditioner," on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed.

Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two million Fords. They haggled back and forth for about two hours, and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown. And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max on the controls.

So, now you know...!!!!

- submitted by Chris Kappelman
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: The Old Lumber Yard Truck Reply with quote

About the only thing that was saved from the devastating lumber yard fire of 1949 was the old Ford truck that was pushed out just before the buildings collapsed. It was about a 1930 vintage flat bed truck used to make deliveries in the area. (John Schnakenberg may remember what model it was.) Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of it, but I still remember the worn old blue paint job and the big bore engine it had.

That was the vehicle in which I learned to drive. Coming home from a delivery, John hopped out of the truck and told me to bring it home. After a lurching start, I did manage to get it back to the lumber yard.

It was a sturdy old vehicle that was still used for a number of years through the '50s. Early mornings, I would drive it out of the circular driveway inside the yard where it was stored overnight and park it on the street. Finally, it was used primarily for hauling lumber and cement from the railroad cars to the lumber yard for storage. Sometimes we would pile too many long planks on the back of it so that the front wheels came off the ground. Someone would then have to sit on the front fender so that it could be steered back to the yard.

Great old truck. "They just don't make them like that anymore."

P.S. Whenever I check Dad's old movies, I always find something else. There is a brief view of the old truck in the Duensing Lumber Co. part of the Concordia Businesses movie clip. A snapshot from that movie is shown below.

Too bad he didn't have a shot of the redwood log slice that stood next to the office door. It had the growth rings marked on it back to the early ages. Unfortunately, the log was lost in the fire.

Last edited by roger.pape on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Memorable Cars around Concordia Reply with quote

If you like old cars, there are a lot of them in my father's old movies. See how many of them you can identify. One of the most memorable for me was Dr. Lissack's old coupe. He kept it in immaculate condition and would only bring it out when the sun was shining. Dad got a shot of it in the Concordia Businesses clip. The following is a snapshot taken from that segment.

There are also a lot of old vehicles in the Scenes around town video. It includes a brief shot of our neighbor Snieder Stelljes getting into his old touring car. He used to gives us rides around the country with the top down. That was always an exciting trip for a youngster. I'll leave it up to you to spot it in that clip.

Last edited by roger.pape on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Winter fun with '21 Model T Reply with quote

Paul Ziegelbein sent me an old movie that his brother Gil had taken sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's. (When was the current post office built?) It shows the fun we had with the old 1921 Model T Ford roadster when the streets were icy. Most of the clip was taken at the corner of 7th and Gordon in Concordia (between the lumber yard and the post office). The editing was done by Paul.

You can see the movie on YouTube at Winter fun with '21 Model T.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: The Frerking hearse Reply with quote

Kathy Gelner from far off Beijing, China sent me a great picture of the Frerking and Voight ambulance/hearse that I have posted below. It's parked in front of the Emil Frerking home on Orange St. Those of you with a broadband connection can click on the following link to get a current view of that house. Click here -> Orange St.. You will have to wait a bit for the photo to pop up. Or you can see the site of their former store at the following link Former Frerking & Voight store (That has changed quite a bit. Russell, do you know in what part of that store your office is now located?)

Emil Frerking's Hearse.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.3 KB
 Viewed:  16937 Time(s)

Emil Frerking's Hearse.jpg

Last edited by roger.pape on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Grandparents’ Cars Reply with quote

How many of you know what model you grandparents’ first automobile was? I was fortunate to find photos of the cars owned by both of my grandfathers. Those pictures are posted below. I also included my dad’s first car.

The first is Grandpa Frerking’s 1914 Overland. Notice the right-hand drive. My mother is the young girl in the middle of the back seat. I don’t know what, if any, car he owned after that. I understand that cousin Kenneth Klinkerman eventually inherited the car.

The second photo is that of Grandpa Pape’s first automobile. While it may look like a Model T Ford, it is actually a Dort, probably a 1916 or 1917. (Note the tapered hood and protruding semi-elliptic front springs.) When we were children and visited the grandparents, we would play a card game called 'Touring' that had car photos of that vintage on the cards. Of course, these cars were only used for special occasions and trips, probably to church. For every day use, they would rely on their trusty horse and wagon. While Grandpa Pape was very progressive in many ways, he never owned a tractor. He continued to use his favorite pair of mules for plowing until he retired. I don’t know what happened to the Dort. After that, Grandpa owned a ’35 (or ’36) Chevy until Dad made him quit driving in his later years.

Dad’s first car was a ’27 Chevy Coupe shown on my parents’ honeymoon. Mom always said that the reason Dad dated her was the thrill of driving over a slight rise in the road on the way to her house and being slightly airborne. I’m told that it was the first car that I “drove”. Apparently, one night when I was only two years old, I was walking in my sleep and crawled into the car. I knocked the shift lever out of gear and the car rolled back down the driveway. The next morning they found me asleep in the car in the yard across the street.

FrerkingOverland.jpg
 Description:
1914 Overland touring car.
 Filesize:  135.86 KB
 Viewed:  16939 Time(s)

FrerkingOverland.jpg

Dort_PapeFarm.jpg
 Description:
1916 or 1917 Dort touring car.
 Filesize:  153.82 KB

Dort_PapeFarm.jpg

EdPapeChevy.jpg
 Description:
1927 Chevrolet Coupe.
 Filesize:  109.19 KB

EdPapeChevy.jpg

Last edited by roger.pape on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Ed Runge's International Reply with quote

Posted below is a photo of Edwin Runge and his International high-wheeler in front of the Runge business place on Main St., Concordia (later Dick's Garage). I'm not sure of the exact year of the car but that model was built between 1907 and 1911.

Check over the doorway. Did they also sell Studebakers?

EdRungeInternational.jpg
 Description:
Edwin Runge in his International high-wheeler.
 Filesize:  226.64 KB
 Viewed:  16906 Time(s)

EdRungeInternational.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: