concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plea for Postings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Plea for Postings Reply with quote

Come on, people. Let's see a few postings. I know there are some good storytellers out there. I enjoy hearing a good tale from the old days. I don't consider myself a good storyteller, but posted a number of anecdotes to give people an idea of what can be done. While some are seemingly insignificant, I thought that someone might find them interesting.

Certain people have a knack for remembering old incidents or humorous tales. My uncle Bill Klingenberg was one of those. From his days running the Standard station along old Highway 40, taking over and running Bergmann's store for a number of years, to finally being a county road commissioner (or Judge as they were called), he could always spin a good yarn. Another was Bob Kroencke. While tending the books at the lumber yard, he would continually have an interesting story to tell. No matter what the subject was, he had a story to match. He always ended the tale with a chuckle, repeating the punch line.

So give it a try. Make a point of posting at least one or more anecdotes. If you can't think of one off-hand, you can at least retell one of the stories you remember hearing and enjoyed.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Still Waiting Reply with quote

The message board has been up for almost a year by now and I’m still surprised by how few people have registered and the small number of postings by others. So I began wondering what the reason(s) could be. Here are a few possibilities.

a) No one is looking at the website. - That’s not likely because the website statistics indicate a reasonable amount of activity. Considering how many people “google” the Web for information, perhaps I should stop blocking this site from the search engine spiders. The reason I have been doing this is to minimize interference from hackers and spammers. I would prefer to rely on word-of-mouth to make the site known to those who have a true interest in the Concordia area. Please spread the word using the e-mail message link on the main page.

b) People haven’t found anything of interest. - I’ve been posting articles that I find interesting and hoped that it would give ideas to others about what might be included. Interests and tastes may vary but almost any memory of the “good old days” will most likely be of interest to someone else and stimulate more discussion. As I have pointed out before, any postings about the area, its people, and customs will be a worthwhile contribution to others in the future.

c) Other websites are better suited. - There are a lot of interesting sites on the web, many with family related information that are very well done. If you know of other sites that you feel people with an interest Concordia’s past should know about, let me know and I’ll post links to them.

d) Postings are too difficult. - Actually, they aren’t. Give it a try. Most of the required actions are fairly obvious. If you don’t know what to do, there is a User Guides topic under General Chat on this message board.

e) Some may feel they will be embarrassed by what they post. - I don’t let that bother me. Some of my postings may appear trite, but I have had the enjoyment of recalling those memories.

f) People would rather have someone else do the work. - The reason I started this message board was not as a blog to expound on my thoughts, but rather to provide a forum where anyone could share their own thoughts and memories about Concordia. The more different people that participate, the more interesting the board will be.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Impatient? Reply with quote

Am I being too impatient? It’s now been a little over a year since the message board was added to the website and I still haven’t seen the surge in postings by others that I was expecting. There are so many interesting topics others could add, such as those I receive in e-mails but are not posted on the board. It’s actually easier to use the message board than to figure out whom to include in your distribution list.

So far the board has degenerated into a blog, not the free exchange of memories and other information that I had hoped. There may be various reasons such as listed above.

I’m beginning to think that the problem may be the need to register on the board. Understandably, many people are reluctant to sign up for things and use a password that has to be remembered. I would like to be able to allow guest postings without a signup or registrations without a password, but that’s out of the question. There are just too many spammers trolling the Web that can mess up a website. Your username is just an easy way for others to know who posted the message, just like your e-mail address when you generate or forward e-mail messages. (You may also have noted that the bottom of the top page of the board also shows which registered members are currently on-line viewing the board.)

Registration is easy. You don’t have to use a complicated password. Keep it simple so you will remember it, but different from what you may use elsewhere. (You can always request that it be reset if you forget it.) The only reason for a password is to ensure that it is really you that posts the message. Even if someone might guess what your password is, it only affects postings on this website and would not compromise your security on the Web (unless you use the same password for other accounts). You might feel that there is a remote possibility that someone might guess your password and post something using your name that you find objectionable. If that should every happen (which I don’t expect because this board is too insignificant for those who try to hack into other’s accounts), you can simply delete the posting and change your password.

Note. This doesn’t excuse those who are already registered on the message board. Let’s see a few postings.

Last edited by roger.pape on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Blocked e-mail addresses Reply with quote

As I have noted in previous postings and on the home page, every time I open up registrations to some of the popular e-mail hosts, such as hotmail and gmail, the board is flooded with registrations from spammers. So, unfortunately, I have had to block registration e-mails from those addresses again.

If you use one of those e-mail services, just send an e-mail directly to my personal e-mail address listed at the bottom of the home page. I check the validity of requests by asking the applicant to provide some indication that they are familiar with the Concordia area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: