concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Issues of the Concordian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Old Issues of the Concordian Reply with quote

Old newspapers can be a great source of historic information. For genealogist, obituaries provide not only birth and death dates for an individual but also family relationships. In addition they may provide additional interesting information about the person’s life. J. J. Bredehoeft’s obituaries in the Concordian had a unique style. Many of you probably have clippings of them in your family records. If you haven’t read any, you can see a sample of them in the Kappelman obituaries that my mother saved of her three uncles.

Early issues of the Concordian have been microfilmed and are archived at the State Historical Society of Missouri. These microfilms can be viewed at the Concordia Library; however, I am considering digitizing the microfilms records and making them available on-line so that they can be more easily searched and viewed. To get an idea of what is possible, check out the Fulton [NY] Postcards webpage. Type a name in the search box in the upper left corner and see what you get. You might find articles about someone by that name in old newspapers from all over New York state.

I have been discussing the possibilities with the Historical Society. My plans are less ambitious than the site above. It would probably be limited to early issues of the Concordian only, but could eventually be expanded to other papers, such as the Higginsville Advance. If anyone in the Concordia area is interested in participating in such a project, I would be happy to hear from you.

Stay tuned.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: No luck Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my proposal to post some of the old issues of The Concordian was rejected by the State Historical Society of Missouri. For some reason, the SHSM feels that they have intellectual property rights to these old newspapers that are no longer under copyright.

I’ll keep trying, but for now the project is on hold. It's a shame. The New York State website that I noted in the earlier posting is extremely popular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: