concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Cemetery Records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Area Cemeteries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: More Cemetery Records Reply with quote

(Originally posted February 3, 2009)

When I posted the St. Paul's Cemetery records, I did not mention that there are other sources of cemetery records available for the area. Marty Helm Brunetti of Odessa has compiled an extensive 7 volume set entitled "Tombstone Inscriptions of Lafayette County". It includes listings for Alma, Holy Cross and St. John Emma, and St. Matthew's Ernestville. Only a few of the cemetery listings include maps, although the gravesites are usually compiled in the order of their location.

This self-published work is relatively rare but can be found in various libraries such as the Trails Regional Library in Warrensburg. It is also available on microfilm at the Family History Library, Salt Lake City. I have PDF files of these seven volumes; however, they are scanned images of the pages. Therefore, one cannot use the usual search tools and must read the records page by page. It would be quite time consuming to convert them into digital files, so I might put the files on a CD and make them available in that format.

For a detailed listing of the Holy Cross Emma cemetery, check the web posting of Jane Bredehoeft Schroer (Oerding?). ( I understand that she has recently moved to Atlanta.) This appears to be a very thorough compilation with photographs. Jane has also posted many of the photos on the Find A Grave website.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Tombstone Inscriptions of Lafayette County Reply with quote

The seven volume Tombstone Inscriptions of Lafayette County by Marty Brunetti have been posted on this website. They can be accessed from a link on the Sources page.

The files are scanned images of those documents. Therefore, they are quite large in size (up to 37 megabytes) and cannot be searched since they are page images. Because of the large size, I have extracted portions from those files of cemeteries that are of most interest to the users of this website. These are more manageable, most less than 1 Mb.

You will have to read through the files to find particular individuals. I tried to convert these files into a text format using an OCR program, but the results contained a considerable number of errors and would require significant manual editing. Because they use up a lot of space, the larger files may eventually be removed as other material is posted on the website. In that event, CD copies could probably be made available on request.

While the files are not particularly convenient to use, you might find some data in them about your ancestors. They contain a fair amount of family information and there are also a few bits of humor in some of the entries. For example, in the St. Matthews Ernestville listing, you will see that William Fiene requested that his casket be carried by wagon "in the old way".
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: "Tombstone Inscriptions" CD at Concordia Library Reply with quote

The website activity indicates that there is a fair amount of interest in the Tombstone Inscriptions of Lafayette County compiled by Marty Brunetti. Downloading these files from the website can be time consuming, perhaps even prohibitive, because of their large size. Therefore, I decided to write the full set of seven volumes to a CD and sent a copy to the Concordia Library. If you live in the Concordia area, you can go to the library and check it out. If you are not familiar with what is in these files, go to the Sources page, click on the link to the files, and check the table of contents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Area Cemeteries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: