concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> User guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Registering Reply with quote

By now, I would have expected more people to have registered on this message board. There are advantages to registering. Currently, you must register to post a reply or start a new topic. Another important reason is the ability to post your email address. This will allow friends and classmates that you don't have in your address book reestablish contact. Sooner or later you will probably want to get in touch with them.

If you are concerned about putting your email address on the Web, take a look at the membership list. The only thing that shows is a button that must be clicked manually to generate an email. Spammers do not have the time or incentive to use this. Furthermore, this is not a publicly promoted website as well as being protected from address capturing by spammers. I have had no increase in spam activity since posting my address. If you see more Fwd and Fwd: Fwd... messages from others, it's not because of this site since messages generated from it do not provide for forwarding.

When you register, try to choose a username that is recognizable to others, including your first name or initials. Females might want to consider including their maiden name just in case some friends don't recall their married name. When you open the Profile page, you can include as much or as little information about yourself as you wish. If you have your own website address, such as available from your Internet provider or various genealogy sites, that can be included. Others will then be able to see your creation. (Give it a try. It's a good way to record family information.)

Currently, a password is required to register. That is simply for security purposes and to avoid any mischief. After all, you wouldn't want someone posting material you disagree with using your name. The password can be relatively simple. There are no minimum requirements such as imposed by some websites.

Note. The message board software that I have incorporated in this website is widely used and, as a result, a popular target of hackers. Because of continued spam postings on the board, I have added several features to reduce the problem. When you register, you will have to enter some text shown in a graphics box (a CAPTCHA in geek terminology) to indicate that you are a human rather than a robot. After you register, some additional checks are made to verify that you are a legitimate user. So there may be a delay of a day or more before you can begin posting. I regret having to use these extra steps but it minimizes the interference by spam robots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> User guides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: