concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Problem reports and maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Future of website Reply with quote

People may have noticed that there is a lack of new information on this website recently. It's not that I have grown tired of this or have nothing new to say. A year and a half ago I suddenly lost my eyesight (giant cell arteritis) making it impossible to read a computer screen. My wife reads the emails and posts replies from what I dictate. I've tried using some of the computer tools for the vision impaired (magnification, voice synthesis, and voice recognition) with little success. Maintaining the website is difficult, so the time has come to pass the torch.

This website has been a hobby for me. It was created in order to share family history and recollections of the Concordia area, sources of information and various anecdotes. A messageboard was added expecting others to share their memories and family information. Website statistics indicate that over 16,000 different people have visited the website plus a number of repeat visits. So the website has fulfilled its purpose; but, it would be nice to see it continue and grow. I have several options available. Short of shutting down the website, I can simply leave it online so that people can continue to access the information on it and add information if they wish. The other alternative is to have someone else take over as webmaster. This job is quite simple. One need only monitor the site occasionally to insure that nothing unwanted is added to it and to provide approval for any new members of the messageboard. There certainly are plenty of qualified people and one need only have an interest in the Concordia area. I hope that someone will contact me to take this position.

It has been a pleasure operating this website for the past ten years. However, I have been disappointed in the lack of additional information from other viewers. My other major disappointment has been the inability to post old issues of The Concordian online. I had the facilities to digitize the microfilms and post them online in a searchable format. However, the State Historical Society of Missouri would not provide access to the microfilms. There is a long range program by the Library of Congress and SHSMO to post all old archived newspapers at some time in the future so keep looking for them. The obituaries, birth, and marriage announcements along with other stories in the old newspapers are an excellent way to obtain vital information and determine family relationships.

Thanks to those who have expressed an interest in this website. Hopefully the memories of Concordia's past will not be lost.

Roger
roger.pape@ieee.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Problem reports and maintenance All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: