concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History West of Concordia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: History West of Concordia Reply with quote

(Originally posted March 10, 2009)

Map overlays provide all kinds of possibilities. My sister gave me an idea about seeing if one could identify the old trail/road from Concordia to Lexington. There are still traces of it on the Olson property. I was unable to locate any old historic Lafayette County maps showing this trail. So I contacted Wendell to see if he knew of any. He sent back the following response.

Hi Roger,

Good to hear from you.

The only information about this "trail" was told to me by Adolph Runge ( many times), previous owner of most of my present property. I am not aware of any thing on record about this or the hand dug well that was covered when I-70 was constructed in the early 70's.

The trail is still there and I have mowed/cleared it since I bought the property in the early 1960's.

Other items of historic value about this Runge property is documented in the Concordian by Nora Hartwig many years ago about the "hanging tree" (oak) which is now rotted away.

The Shorty Chapin house on Runge Road, next to I-70 was built from a kit from Sears Roebuck, which is still occupied by Denny Meyers and has the original Sears label on most of the rafters in the original square house.

The pond dam to the original "Range [Runge?] Woods" swimming hole is still in tact and a second generation cottonwood tree.

Two vintage Concordia Oak trees remain with the stump/trunk of one of the first Concordia Oak is being preserved, waiting to be sliced into 2-inch table tops. There are at least 162 rings plus the outer bark.

There has been 3 organized manhunts while I have lived here and about 5 acres that have not been cultivated.

If you find any additional info, please let me know.
Thanks for writing.

Wendell

In case you are interested in any of this old history, you might to want to check it out. While there, you can view Wendell's artwork. Contact Wendell Olson and I'm sure he would be happy to give you a tour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Concordia Memories All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: