concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Pape family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Business Card Reply with quote

Because it is not possible to personally meet many of you, I have attached my “business” card below.

First of all, the crest on the left side is a tongue-in-cheek addition. This is representative of what people receive if they order their “family crest” from one of the various websites that advertise they will find one’s coat of arms.

All of my ancestors (not just the Papes) were peasant farmers from Northern Germany. The rulers of that area changed numerous times through the centuries. It is possible that some of them may have been conscripted into an army during the many wars that swept through that area, particularly during the Thirty Years War and later. However, it is highly unlikely that any of them bore a coat of arms or that there was any nobility in the family line.

If you are not familiar with the term prosopography, you can look it up in the dictionary or search for the word online. One of the best definitions is as follows:
” In historical studies, prosopography is an investigation of the common characteristics of a historical group [whose individual biographies may be largely untraceable] by means of a collective study of their lives, in multiple career-line analysis.” (From Wikipedia)
To me, this is the key to genealogy.

With all of the information available on the Web, genealogy has become one of the most popular hobbies worldwide, particularly among those of us interested in discovering our roots. As a hobby, it should be shared. Between this website and message board, some volunteer record indexing for FamilySearch, and an occasional presentation locally, it has helped keep me occupied during retirement. You may have noticed that my postings on the message board tend to peak in the winter during these long, snowy days in Central New York. (Less skiing and snowshoeing when one ages!) But the postings taper off in the summer months when my wife and I spend our time at our camp in the North Woods of upstate NY.

Some may wonder why, given all of the hacker activity, I chose to post this information online? I have nothing to hide. My number has always been listed in phone book. Recently, I read a book entitled “Digital Destiny’ by Shawn Dubravac. The main theme of the author is how the world is changing because of the tremendous expansion of data available online. He makes a number of good points (some of which I don’t totally agree with or feel are exaggerated); however, he notes that it is increasingly difficult to keep one’s identity private. Much of this is because of the explosion of social media on the Web.

I don’t use social media websites. While I did sign up for a minimal Facebook account to receive someone else’s information, I never post anything on it. I have never used Twitter, Instagram, or any of the multitude of other social media sites. Although some of these sites have considerable potential for distributing information, the problem is the type of information that is being posted on them. They have degraded into the “Internet of Me” with most of it being self-centered. That is also evident in the current fad of taking so many selfies and posting them. Fortunately, many places are now banning the use of selfie sticks.

Hopefully, I will meet some of you in the future but, until then, this card will have to suffice.

BusinessCard.jpg
 Description:
Current as of March 2015.
 Filesize:  90.17 KB
 Viewed:  9060 Time(s)

BusinessCard.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Pape family All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: