concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting reminder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Posting reminder Reply with quote

I continue to be flabbergasted as to why there are not more postings on this message board from other people. The operator of another board similar to this one commented that it took about five years before he got a significant number of contributors. Well, this board has been operating for more than five years and I’m still waiting. My earlier urgings at Plea for postings haven’t worked, but I won’t give up. I know some of you have comments, stories, or photos that other readers of the board would enjoy. A larger variety of postings would make this website much more interesting.

The primary hindrance appears to be the need to be registered on the message board to post a spontaneous thought when reading another posting. I get plenty of e-mails from people who have read the board. So surely, some of the postings have triggered additional thoughts but people don’t comment because they are not registered. Registration on this board is safe. It won’t result in any viruses or additional spam on your computer. The message board has facilities for allowing comments to existing postings without registration, but I refuse to choose that option because it increases the amount of work involved in maintaining the message board. Similarly, it has the option to permit automatic registrations or requests for registrations directly from the message board, but again this is an open invitation to spammers. So I have blocked any registration (requests) from within the board. Instead, you will have to send an e-mail to me by clicking on the link at the bottom of the main page of the website. [Note. If you got to this posting by a Google or other search, you will need to get to the main page by reducing the url at the top of your browser to before the ‘/’s or simply click on this link http://concordia-memories.org.]

Posting information on the board is no more difficult than creating an e-mail message. You can find more detailed instructions at More Information About Posting Topics/Replies in the “User guides’ forum. You can simply add a title and type away in the input box (or paste text that you have prepared in a word processor). One of the convenient features of the message board is the ability to attach photos or documents in the ‘Add an attachment’ section near the bottom of the posting generation page. If the information you would like to post is too lengthy to put in the body of the post, you can generate a plain text or document file in a standard word processor, a pdf file, a spreadsheet (or you may already have the file on your computer), and attach it. If you use an attachment, add a description of what is in the file or photo in the ‘File Comment’ box.

One last comment: If you have a family tree file that you would like to share with readers of this board, it is best to post the tree on a website designed for such postings. I recommend using the free website RootsWeb because of its flexibility in viewing and retrieving the information. If you do post a tree on-line, send me an e-mail with the link to the file and I will post the link on the ‘Genealogy’ page of this website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: