concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken links

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Problem reports and maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Broken links Reply with quote

Websites constantly change or disappear. Many of the postings on the message board of this website contain links to various websites. One example is blip.tv which has removed videos that were posted on that website and transferred them to archive.org. You may receive a message that a video is no longer available, let me know and I will correct the posting. In the meantime, you can open another window and go to archive.org to view the video.

If you get an error message (E404) when clicking on a link, the website or page on the website is no longer on-line. Again, let me know and I will try to see if the information has been posted elsewhere. Note. There is a way to retrieve some older website pages that are no longer on-line. That is the 'Wayback Machine' on https://archive.org/. If you go to that website, there is a search bar near the top of the main page. When you enter the URL address for the link that no longer exists and click on 'Browse History", you may receive a calender of dates when that web page was archived on the archive.org website (if it ever was archived). Just click on the archive date and the page will be displayed.
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Blocked websites Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that the Wayback Machine will only work if a website allows search spiders to access the site. Recently, one of the websites (rungetree.com) that is linked to from this site has changed its format significantly. There was information on it that I wanted to look at, but could not find. One can still access the website but, because of the changes, the old information is not accessible. It turns out that the site blocked search spiders from its robots.txt file and was not archived on the Wayback Machine. Otherwise, I could have found an old version that had the information I was looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Problem reports and maintenance All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: