concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating the website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> User guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Navigating the website Reply with quote

This website grew over time which is reflected in its page structure. Ideally, a website should be structured so that it is easy to navigate to a particular subject of interest or between subjects as one browses through the site. Without prior planning, it becomes difficult to structure all of the pages to make navigation simple and intuitive.

When this site was first designed, there were a set of main topics that were intended to be included. These topics were each assigned a page that is accessed from the navigation bar at the top of the home page. The other pages included the same navigation bar to switch to other topics or return to the home page.

As the content on some of the pages grew, links to additional pages were added in the text of the page to avoid making a given page too long or cluttered. In most cases, when you click on one of those links, it should open up the new page in a separate tab on the browser. Then, to return to the previous page, you simply have to close the new tab. If the new page does open in the same browser tab, you must use the back arrow at the top of the browser window to return to the previous page.

Originally, the website had a blog page; but what I really wanted was a message board to allow people to add postings of their own. So my son replaced the blog page with a public domain message board package (phpBB). Unfortunately, I could not find a way to embed the original navigation bar into the main page of the message board. If you enter the message board from another pages on the website, it will open in the same tab; so, to return back to one of the other pages, you must use the browser back arrow. (If that doesn’t work you can always restart the website from a bookmark or the address bar.)

I would be happy to hear from any of you who are more experienced in website design if you have ideas about a better structure for this website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> User guides All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: