concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kappelmann Descendants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Kappelman family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Kappelmann Descendants Reply with quote

Over the past several years, I have been piecing together various bits of information about the Kappelmann branch of my family. Great-grandparents Johann Heinrich and Catherine Elizabeth Kappelman moved their family to the Concordia area of Lafayette County, MO from Franklin County, MO in 1878. [Note that they dropped the last n in their surname after this move.] Relatively little was known about their life back in Franklin County and earlier back in Germany, other than a few family stories and an old photo album containing pictures of some relatives in Franklin Co.

Franklin County was the destination of a large number of families that emigrated from the Borgholzhausen area of Westphalia, Germany. This included at least five Kappelmann families (who were all first cousins) along with other relatives, on various voyages in a period between about 1843-1857. At the time of this migration, Westphalia was part of Prussia as opposed to the adjacent province of Hanover where most of my other ancestors were born. Over the years, the Kappelman(n)’s always referred to themselves as Prussian to distinguish themselves from their Hanoverian neighbors. They also spoke a slightly different Low German dialect.

To begin, I was able to obtain microfilms of the Borgholzhausen church records for the first half of the 1800’s from the Family History Library. This period contained the births, marriages and deaths of many of the family members who came to America. While reading the records written in early German script is time consuming, it was possible to trace a number of the ancestors and their family relationships.

Over time, I was able to establish contact with various distant relatives. More research was triggered by an extensive trace of the Descendants of Eberhard Cappelmann that I obtained from Roger Morgan in Franklin County. So, in the past several months, it became a comprehensive winter project to expand the investigation into all of the Kappelmann relatives (of which there are many still living in Franklin County as well as some who migrated to other areas, such as Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska).

It is amazing how much information can now be found posted on-line. Besides various church records, a number of other sources proved to be invaluable. These include census records, family tree postings, obituaries, death certificates, the Social Security death index, and tombstone postings. Comparing information in these sources, one can piece together a picture of the various families and trace them through successive generations.

My current Kappelmann family research is now posted on RootsWeb WorldConnect at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=frco-kappelmanns. Because the size of the family tree grew beyond my original plans, I limited the families in the tree to about five generations below the patriarch Eberhard Cappelmann. As with any research, there are missing pieces and most likely some typographical errors. If you have any additions or corrections, feel free to contact me at the e-mail address included in the posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Kappelman family All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: