concordia-memories.org Forum Index concordia-memories.org
Recalling Concordia's Past

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Mueller (1870-1951)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Other families
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: John Mueller (1870-1951) Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with John George Mueller, who was a blacksmith in Alma during the early 1900s? He was born May 30, 1870 in Heeslingen, Germany. Depending on which census records one looks at, he claims to have immigrated to the US either in 1884, 1885, or 1888.

He married Ida Stegemann (daughter of Henry and Anna Stegemann) about 1900. John and Ida had a daughter Laura, born about 1902, a foster daughter Esther born about 1905, and a son Albert born about 1914.

According to the information in his death certificate, provided by his son Albert, he settled in Alma about 1895. Census records indicate that he was a blacksmith with his own repair shop until the 1930 census when he listed himself as a laborer. He died Nov. 18, 1951 and is buried with his wife Ida in Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, Alma.

The reason for my interest is that among my family's photo collection is a formal portrait of him with my grandfather Jacob Pape (see below). They must have been very good friends to have a portrait such as this taken by Hawkins Studio in Higginsville. (It's possible that one was best man at the other's wedding.) Because they were both born in the same small village, they obviously knew each other in Germany; however, I don't know if they were related. Whoever provided the photo wrote "Uncle John" on the photo.

JohnMuller.JPG
 Description:
Jacob Pape and John Mueller
 Filesize:  132.93 KB
 Viewed:  8414 Time(s)

JohnMuller.JPG

roger.pape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Copy of photo returns to the US Reply with quote

In the fall of 2010, I had been working with Frank Bleck, a genealogist in Heeslingen, Germany. During that time, I mailed him a copy of Angela Bredehoeft Flauss' video of the area. (See the Heeslingen Church posting in the Pape family forum.) He was aware of a Pape family in Meinstedt and bicycled there to visit them and show them the video.

After viewing the video, the grandmother in the family commented that she had an old photo from Higginsville, MO and wondered who the people in it were. The granddaughter scanned the photo and e-mailed it to me. Lo and behold, it was the photo posted above (without the handwritten names on it). My grandfather had sent the photo to the family in Germany. After about 120 years, it made the round-trip back to the U.S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    concordia-memories.org Forum Index -> Other families All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: